Ask This Old House plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey learns how to add storage to an existing photovoltaic array.
Time: 1 day
Cost: Varies based on system size
Skill Level: Professional
PVC pipe cutter
12 gauge wiring
1. Before doing any electrical work, ensure the power is turned off at the breaker panel. Professional installation is recommended for this project.
2. Run four 12 gauge conductors from a 240V breaker at the main electrical panel to the location
3. Attach battery brackets to structure.
4. Run electrical conduit between each bracket.
5. Run four 12 gauge conductors between each bracket. Strip the ends of the conductors and insert them into the appropriate slot of the bracket.
6. Attach each battery to the wall mount bracket.
7. Plug the battery into the port on the bracket.
8. Restore power to the circuit.